Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Use an RSS feed on a web page?

I need to add a RSS feed to a web page for a class. It is possible for me to do this in any number of ways; I just need to know how to go about it. I know there are websites that already have this functionality, but that is not what I need. I need to create the website that does this.





Some other random questions that are related:





Are there any Java applets that can easily be placed in the background of a page to aggregate RSS feeds?





Is PHP the only way to do this?





Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use an RSS feed on a web page?
There's two things here: RSS feeds and a scripting language to make them dynamic (if that's something you need).





RSS is simply a type of XML, formatted in a specific way. I believe you already have an answer that links to the w3c doc on the format.





Now a static RSS feed is pretty boring. If you were just announcing shows for you band or something like that, then a static RSS feed (which is just a text file) is probably fine. But if you want to publish full news stories, top 10 charts for popular links on you site, or anything that changes on a regular basis, that's where you'll need a scripting language (like PHP, ASP, etc.).





In PHP you can output XML by sending the appropriate headers. I have no idea how technical you are so I won't go into further detail, but if you'd like further advice, you can usually find decent guides on PHP's website. If you're looking for something you can install and use, try hotscripts.com. I usually go there when I'm looking for a general script I can use:





http://hotscripts.com/
Reply:No, not PHP, you'll need to learn RSS and XML. The newest standard for RSS is RSS2.0. Here is a tutorial on XML from the W3C to help you get started.

dental hygiene

No comments:

Post a Comment