Thursday, November 19, 2009

The RSS subscribe button on my Web site just brings up text - I would guess the rss.xml file. Any fixes?

Look at my site - livinginrhyme.com - click on Blog, then the RSS subscribe button, and you can see what I'm talking about.

The RSS subscribe button on my Web site just brings up text - I would guess the rss.xml file. Any fixes?
Safari and other KHTML-based browsers are sensitive to the MIME types used when files are sent. Your RSS feed is being sent as "application/xhtml+xml", but the proper MIME type for an RSS feed is "application/rss+xml" according to RFC 3023. The PNG icon has the right MIME type, so I'm not sure why that isn't displaying right for you.





Your site appears to be hosted on an Apache server, so try creating a file named ".htaccess" in the Blog directory and putting the following line in there:





AddType application/rss+xml xml





That should fix your RSS problem.
Reply:It all depends on what browser your visitors are using. Some will format RSS feeds by default others don't.





For instance on a PC Internet Explorer 6 will not automatically detect a link as an RSS feed while Internet Explorer 7 will. Firefox does as well. On a Mac Safari will format it correctly, but Camino won't necessarily.





Now that you have a website you need to be aware that your visitors use a range of web browsers to access your site.





There are ways to make it easier for people to sign up to your RSS feed.





I'd suggest submitting your link to feedburner.com





That will direct visitors to a page where they can subscribe to your feed more easily. You can also get lots of useful stats on who is using you RSS feed.





I use Google Reader to view all my feeds. It's free, and because I view it in a browser, I'm not tied to any particulat machine or location to access the feeds that I'm interested in.





Good luck with the site.





By the way, you can download IE7 for free from microsoft.com





Just out of interest which browser are you using.


No comments:

Post a Comment